Friday, June 11, 2010

Heart Tracks


I forgot to mention what I discovered right after I saw the poison ivy last evening: deer tracks, heart-shaped, leading toward the east where the sun rises, even though it was just about to set as I began this journey. Deer tracks in the sand heading toward the beach. I've never seen a deer on the beach, but I find their tracks sometimes. When I do, I always know that I am headed in the right direction. Notice how there are two tracks here, two hearts, notice how if you are open, even solitude is filled with many heartbeats. Notice what I forgot to write about last night: two hearts guiding me. That's all right. I needed to feel lonely. All emotions are our teachers. I am grateful to the surf that roared all night that helped me shift that loneliness so I could remember this photo: what I left out. What was already there and always will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment